Transfer Students


 It is essential that you have all your college transcripts sent to BYU-Hawaii.  Please make sure our Admissions office has an updated transcript from your former institution/s (see the bottom of this page for the mailing address).  Students may be asked to provide course descriptions and/or syllabi for courses in which substitutions are requested. Transfer students are encouraged to meet with their Academic Advisor once they arrive on campus.  The Academic Advisor will submit substitutions requests to the appropriate department. 

 What General Education Courses should I register for?

 Starting Fall 2015: Requirements for General Education for Students transferring with an Associate's Degree

Associate’s degrees (AAS, AGS, AS, AA, ALS) from accredited colleges and Universities will be accepted to complete GE requirements, with the additional course work of: Advanced Writing (ENG 315, etc.) and Local Communities (GE 100) (6 hours)

Associate’s degrees of Applied Science and 2 year Diplomas from accredited colleges and Universities wiil be accepted to complete GE requirements, with the additional course work of: GE 100, GE 110, GE 120, English 315, World Communities (History 202/GE 300) (15 hours)

Before Fall 2015:

If you have an Associate's Degree from a school with a Transfer Agreement then the one General Education class that you will need to take is an Interdisciplinary Studies (IDS) course.  You are ready to focus on planning your majors classes within your six semesters in residence.  To help you get started we have sample Major Academic Plans (MAPs) that you can see at 

If you have an Associate's degree from a school without a Transfer Agreement then you will need to complete an Advanced Writing (English 315) and an Interdisciplinary Studies (IDS) course.  However, those coming from Hawaii Community Colleges have additional requirements.  When you arrive you can plan to meet with your Academic Advisor.  Once your transcripts arrive and you give her copies of course descriptions and syllabi, she will evaluate your transcript and make a proposal to the General Education Committe of the remaining courses you need to complete.

If you are transfering without an Associate's Degree then you will also need to have your transfer credits evaluated before you can have a final count of your semesters in residence.  You can get a general sense of the semesters you will have in residence here. You can see BYU-Hawaii's General Education requirements here.  You can plan to register for classes that you clearly know that you have not taken.

 What major classes should I take?

You can also plan your first semester's classes by looking at sample Major Academic Plans (MAPs) that have been made for both the new Freshmen and the transfer students with an Associate's degree.  Depending on how many credits you will be transferring, you will be somewhere between those two.

All students should have declared a major by the time they reach 30 credit hours and some majors will take very careful planning to fit into your allotment of Semesters in Residence.  These typically include the sciences.  If you are seriously considering majoring in Biology or Biochemistry then you will want to declare this major right away and take Biology for Science Majors (BIOL 112) your first semester.  If you only have six semesters in residence as a transfer student with an associate's degree, some majors may be too long for your to finish within the time you have in residence at BYU-Hawaii.  Be sure to look carefully at the sample Major Academic Plans (MAPs). Be aware that an appeal is possible, if needed, once you have completed a MAP with an advisor after you arrive on campus.

 How can I decide what major and career is right for me?

There are some helpful online tools and information available through BYU-Hawaii Career Services.  Take some time to think through your future with Focus 2.  Plan 1-2 hours to complete this online asessment that will help you see which majors and career paths might be a good fit for you.

 What courses will be accepted as transfer credits?

Application of transfer credit will be determined on a course by course equivalency basis. All transfer courses with a C- grade or better will be accepted by BYU-Hawaii as general education credit, major credit or elective credit. Credit for courses of a remedial nature (usually numbered 99 and below) will not be transferable. BYU-Hawaii does not transfer Grade Point Averages (GPA) when transferring credits from other institutions.

A person transferring to BYU Hawaii with an associate degree will generally take additional hours to fulfill the general education requirement for a bachelor's degree. Such a student should meet with the Academic Advisor over his/her major. The Academic Advisor then does an evaluation of the student's transcript and makes a proposal to the General Education Committee of the remaining courses that the student has to complete.

With an Associate Degree from schools with a Transfer Agreement, credits will transfer to BYU-Hawaii having satisfied all of their General Education requirements with the exception of an Interdisciplinary Studies course. Those transferring with an Associate degree from schools without a Transfer Agreement will need to complete an Advanced Writing and an Interdisciplinary Studies course. However, Hawaii Community Colleges have additional requirements.

Students will be notified in writing of the general education requirements remaining to be completed. The student's major department/school evaluates courses for the major requirements.

 What information do I need to provide to my Academic Advisor?

Please submit course descriptions to your Academic Advisor for courses in which you feel can substitute our GE and Major/Minor courses. In some cases, syllabi may be requested by a department for additional information. It is also the student's responsibility to make sure our Registrar's office has an updated transcript.

Where do I send my transcript?

Please send all official and sealed transcripts to:

BYU-Hawaii Admissions Office
BYU–Hawaii #1973
55-220 Kulanui St.
Laie, HI 96762

Advanced Placement (AP) Credits?

Students who completed Advanced Placement courses in high school and scored a composite grade of 3,4,or 5 may receive up to eight semester hours of credit in each subject. Credits will be reviewed on a case by case basis.

If I already have a four-year degree, can I earn another one at BYU-Hawaii?

In keeping with its mission to educate as many students as possible, BYU-Hawaii does not admit students for a second bachelor's degree.