New Freshmen

I'm a new international student.  What classes should I take?

Before registering, be sure you have first: paid return airfare and housing deposits, sent a copy of your passport, sent in your intent to enroll form, and proof of immunization   Click for details

Most international students will be testing for EIL and WILL NOT register themselves for classes.  Your letter of acceptance should indicate if you will be testing for placement in EIL.

Click here for more information about New International Student registration and EIL

What if I don't need to test for placement in EIL?  If you are a Transfer student then click here

If you do not need to test for placement in EIL and are not a transfer student then keep reading.

This is my first semester in college.  What classes should I take?

First you will want to explore what majors are available at BYU-Hawaii.  Click here to see a list of majors.  You will be able to see a Major Requirement Sheet (MRS) for each major.  You will also be able to see a sample Major Academic Plan (MAP) for each major.  This MAP will show you how you can finish your major within your allotment of nine semesters in residence at BYU-Hawaii.

All students will need to complete the General Education classes. A suggestion of classes is listed below.  Select any combination of classes between 12-14 credits.  Students are permitted to register for up to 18 credits, but it is not recommended for new Freshmen.  Click here to see the list of GE requirements.  Classes to start with might include:

Student Development 101 "An Introduction to University Life"

Math 107 or Statistics or Calculus (Math 110 may be needed for Business majors and Math 100 might be a helpful preparation for those not ready for Math 107)

A foreign language

English 101

GE 100 Local Communities: Principles of Civic & Moral Engagement

GE 110 Critical Inquiry and Analysis

GE 120 Scientific Reasoning

A "Social Science" breadth course (Anthropology, Communications, etc.)

A "Humanities & Culture" breadth course (Art, Music, etc.)

A "Science & Technology" breadth course (Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Physical Science, etc.)

An Exercise Science/PE class

A Religion Core class or Rel 100 for those of other faiths

These types of classes are often a good place to start, but be sure to also take a class or two in a major that you might be interested in pursuing.

All students will also need to complete seven Religious Education classes.  If you are not LDS, then start with REL 100 Introduction to Mormonism.  You may only take one Religion class during a semester. The Religion Core includes: The Eternal Family, Foundations of the Restoration, Jesus Christ and the Everlasting Gospel, and The Teachings and Doctrine of the Book of Mormon.

Do I need to know now what I'm majoring in?

You don't need to formally declare your major until you reach 30 credit hours, but there are some majors that will take very careful planning to fit into your Nine Semesters in Residence.  These typically include the sciences.  If you are seriously considering majoring in Biology or Biochemistry then you will want to declare this major as soon as possible and begin with Biology for Science Majors (BIOL 112) as soon as possible.  Be aware that an appeal is possible, if needed, once you have completed a MAP with an advisor after you arrive on campus.

How can I decide what major and career is right for me?

There are some helpful online tools and information available through BYU-Hawaii Career Services.  Take some time to think through your future with Focus 2.  Plan 1-2 hours to complete this online assement that will help you see which major and career paths might be a good fit for you.

If I have AP Credit, how will that count?

Students who have completed Advanced Placement courses in high school and scored a composite grade of 3, 4, or 5 may receive up to eight semester hours of credit in each subject.  Credits will be reviewed on a case by case basis.  While AP credits will give you college credit they will not count as part of the calculation of your allotment of semesters in residence as would transfer credit. Click here to see a chart of the AP transfer evaluation guidelines.