2016-2017 Graduation Dates

Fall 2016-Monday, October 31Winter 2016-17-Saturday, February 25Spring 2017-Thursday, June 8
Fall 2017-Friday, December 15Winter 2018-Saturday, April 21Spring 2018-Saturday, June 30

For a complete list of graduation requirements, please visit the BYU Hawaii online catalog at

You can also visit the Registrar's Webpage for the Graduation Application form at

Application for graduation?

Students who expect to qualify for a degree must apply for graduation. The University recommends that students apply for candidacy the year before they plan to graduate. The application form is available at the Registrar's Office or online. The deadline for the completed application form to be submitted to the Registrar's Office is the semester prior to your final semester.

The Registrar's Office will notify students in writing of the requirements to be completed for a degree from BYUH. If the student is not able to advance towards graduation on the date indicated on the application, the student should contact an advisor to complete an appeal for an additional semester in residence. Those students who leave the university and later want to complete their degree may contact the Registrar's Office or an academic advisor.

Does the Diploma show my major?

Yes. The diploma will indicate the degree you have been awarded such as Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Social Work, and also your major.  If you are completing a double major, you will need to select which major will show on your diploma.  If you major has an emphasis, this will not show on your diploma, but will appear on your transcript along with any minors or certificates that you have completed.  Transcripts are the official record of your degree for future employment and educational opportunities.

Exceptions to the Graduation Requirements?

Waivers of published requirements are granted only in exceptional cases. Application for a general education waiver is made through the Registrar's Office and the Academic Exceptions Committee.

Application for a waiver in the major is made to the Dean over the major. Substitutions in the graduation requirements are granted by the dean over the major program. The Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences reviews the exceptions for general education. For interdisciplinary general education courses, the General Education and Honors Committee assumes the role of a college/school.

Honor Code and Graduation?

A student's graduation may be delayed or denied if he or she is found in violation of the BYUH Honor Code.

Honors at Graduation?

There are three categories of academic recognition awarded to graduating students at commencement who have earned a minimum of 45 semester hours of credit at BYUH. These are: summa cum laude (GPA 3.85-4.00), magna cum laude (GPA 3.70-3.84) and cum laude (GPA 3.50-3.69).

How much does it cost for a Cap and Gown?

The cost is $34.55 (with tax) for the set. You must order and pay for it at This should be done at the same time you apply for graduation. Caps and gowns can be picked up after you have attended the Alumni Orientation. Look for information from the Alumni Office (usually posted in the Aloha Center Mall) about attending this short presentation during the last couple weeks of the semester.  

I lost my diploma in a move. Can I get another one?

Only one diploma will be issued. If you need a replacement, you will need to make a payment of $50.00 to the Cashier's Office and then send in a written request to the Registrar's Office with the receipt number.  Also, a letter verifying your degree is available upon request. Contact the Registrar's Office at or (808)675-3744.

When will I get my diploma?

Diplomas will be mailed to students after all final grades are in, all graduation requirements have been certified complete, and all restrictions have been cleared.

Who can I contact with additional questions?

BYUH Registrars Office (808)675-3744; Location is Administration Building (LSB) 110

PDF icon Graduation Application Form.pdf639.31 KB